Tuesday 19 August 2014

DIY // Cookie-scented Coconut Oil & Brown Sugar Body Scrub

When I got up on Saturday and prepared to have a shower, I decided to try something new. Since I regularly fake tan on a Sunday I was planning on exfoliating generously in the shower - to remove the last of last weeks tan and help ready my skin for tomorrows application.

I have used the 'Frank' coffee scrub before but, while I liked the results I found it annoyingly messy. I've seen sugars scrubs in stores but never thought the price could justify what is essentially buying a jar of sugar. So I decided to make my own! It's super easy, and whats even better - mine smells like fresh cookies.

DIY Brown Sugar and Coconut Oil Scrub
Ingredients:1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
Method:
Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so begin by melting the coconut oil at a low temperature - I was too impatient to wait for mine to fully melt so there are chunks of coconut oil in it. This doesn't affect the scrub, but it is nicer if it mixes properly.
While that was melting, I measured out my brown sugar and put it in a clean glass jar. I  used the only sugar we had available at home, but I would suggest trying to find the coarsest sugar you can find at the supermarket. If you're like me and enjoy your showers hot the heat and steam from the shower will quickly dissolve fine-milled sugar.
Once your coconut oil is a good consistency, combine it with the sugar and give it a good mix with a small wooden or metal spoon.
For my scrub I added cinnamon powder and vanilla extract to get the perfect scent, but you can add any natural ingredients you think would work well. I just really love the smell of cookies!


I used my scrub straight after making it on Saturday and I'm quite pleased with the results! I applied it to my skin and rubbed in circular motions before washing it off under the shower. The coconut oil left my skin feeling nourished and moisturised, although if you don't like the feeling you may want to go over your body with a shower wash and loofah before you get out of the shower. I also wouldn't recommend using this scrub (or any with oils in them) before applying fake tan as the oil will mean the tan won't stick to the skin properly.

Got any home-made body scrubs you like to use? Share it in the comments!
Becky x

No comments:

Post a Comment